Conveyancing Portal

Sorting out your finances after the breakdown of a relationship can be difficult. There are lots of things to consider and tensions can run high when trying to come to an agreement on who gets what. A family solicitor will help you navigate your way through the financial legalities of separation and divorce. Here’s some of the most common questions we’re asked:

Yes, it’s possible, but it depends on a number of factors. Following separation, the court will always consider how the needs of any dependent child will be met. This may result in one parent remaining in the family home with the child or, alternatively, it may be that the house has to be sold so that both parties can buy somewhere of their own. Whatever the outcome, the court considers all the resources available to both parents and will try and reach a fair outcome.

Full information about our fees can be found here.

If your financial proceedings go through to a final hearing, the process can take as long as nine months - even longer if your circumstances are complicated. But, to avoid further delay, both parties can agree to settle the case at any time during the proceedings.

There’s no hard and fast rule of who’ll get what; financial orders vary depending on the individual aspects of each case and both parties are expected to formally disclose full details of their financial circumstances. Although the court does consider the needs of any children involved, particularly in respect to housing, it does look at all of the assets and how each party’s needs can be met fairly. 

Assets include income, savings, investments, capital resources, properties and pensions together with any other valuables, although it doesn’t usually consider personal property unless it’s of a significantly high value.

No. The court is obliged to look at the situation from an entirely neutral perspective. The only exception to this is if one of the parties has engaged in serious misconduct, such as refusing to provide full disclosure of financial circumstances, violent behaviour, or if one party’s financial conduct has depleted the matrimonial assets.

we think you might also find these helpful...

More Information from us

Want free initial advice?

Call us on 0800 103 2600 or enter your details and we'll call you!

Your data is safe. View our Privacy Policy.